Skip to main content

What kind of insurance should a nonprofit have?

By February 7, 2024No Comments
Clickable Coverage - Non Profit Scene of a Non Profit Office with Workers Discussing in the Conference Area

Nonprofit organizations should typically have several types of insurance to protect their assets, operations, and stakeholders. These may include:

  1. General Liability Insurance: Covers bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury claims that arise from the nonprofit’s activities, operations, or premises.

  2. Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability Insurance: Protects board members and officers from lawsuits alleging wrongful acts, errors, or negligence in managing the organization.

  3. Professional Liability Insurance (Errors & Omissions Insurance): Provides coverage for claims related to professional services or advice provided by the nonprofit or its employees, volunteers, or contractors.

  4. Property Insurance: Protects the nonprofit’s physical assets, such as buildings, equipment, and inventory, against damage or loss from perils like fire, theft, or vandalism.

  5. Workers’ Compensation Insurance: Required in most states if the nonprofit has employees, it provides medical benefits and wage replacement to employees injured on the job.

  6. Commercial Auto Insurance: Covers vehicles owned or used by the nonprofit for business purposes, including accidents, injuries, and property damage.

  7. Cyber Liability Insurance: Protects against data breaches, cyberattacks, and other cyber risks that could compromise sensitive information or disrupt operations.

  8. Umbrella/Excess Liability Insurance: Provides additional liability coverage beyond the limits of primary policies, offering protection against catastrophic events or large lawsuits.

  9. Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI): Covers claims related to employment practices, such as discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, or violations of employment laws.

  10. Event Liability Insurance: If the nonprofit organizes events, this insurance can cover liabilities associated with accidents, injuries, or property damage that occur during those events.

  11. Volunteer Accident Insurance: This is a type of insurance that provides coverage for volunteers who may sustain injuries while performing their duties for a nonprofit organization or other entities. 

The specific insurance needs of a nonprofit may vary based on factors such as its size, activities, assets, and risks. It’s advisable for nonprofits to work with an experienced insurance agent like Conservation United who can assess their unique needs and recommend appropriate coverage options. If you would like more information, contact us today!